Wednesday, May 3, 2017

2017 CROSS-COUNTRY ROAD TRIP - SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO TO TUSCON, ARIZONA

April 20th, 2017 

10:40 a.m. We left the hotel in Santa Fe, New Mexico with the Odometer reading 51125.


I didn't write anything yesterday as I was under the weather. We think it was a combination of the heat (should have worn a hat but didn't), I forgot to take my water flask. Yes I know, after all that, so I felt very dehydrated and possibly was feeling the effects of the altitude. I remembered we both felt very whoozy and light headed the last time we were here.  (I found out last time from a gentleman whose son was in the chorus at the nearby opera theater, that an oxygen bottle was put nearby for the express use of out-of-towner opera singers, who were affected by the altitude.)  


This time Gregg was okay thankfully. It was only 72° when we went out, but it felt much, much hotter.  It could have been something to do with the strawberry milkshake!!! I don't handle dairy very well, and what we ate was a bit of this and a bit of that after that nice healthy breakfast, not exactly our usual fayre. We seemed to be on the go for most of the day and everything was in a bit of a rush. Ohhhhh I was just asking for it, especially as my diet at home is usually pretty bland.  Lessons learned!  After a dreadful night, I spent the whole day in bed just sleeping. 


Gregg got out a couple of times, one time to the drug store for some medicine for me, and another time when I was feeling much better but not quite up to going out, and I insisted he explore.  The 'do-not-disturb' sign was on the door all day.  Such a waste of precious site-seeing time, but we had two wonderful days in Santa Fe and will be heading back one day, 100 percent prepared! I feel a bit weak this morning but glad to be feeling better than I was. 

11.00 a.m. We passed a sign saying that we were in the Santo Domingo Reservation


Gregg read that 2% of the land in America is reservations. 

11.20 a.m. Just passed a sign for the San Felipe Pueblo.

11.39 a.m. Passing a winery called Black Smuggler.  


We passed orchards before that. Saw the irrigation pipes. This is semi desert, bordering on desert we are driving through. 

12.32 a.m. We have gone 3,000 miles on our journey now. 

Saw a sign for parking at Albuquerque airport $2.50 a day.  As Gregg said, you can't beat that. 

We are heading to Tucson, Arizona. We will visit the Arizona-Sonoran Desert Museum at 2021 N Kinney Rd., Tucson, 85743

1.13 a.m   Saw a sign to a town called Truth or Consequences, NM. 



None of these places we intended to stop at. I just like to make note of places along the way, and then look them up that night when we stop at a hotel.

2.15 p.m stopped for gas in Elephant Butte, (pronounced Byute) NM.  A man gave Gregg a friendly nod of his head as he was coming back to his car. He looked like some kind of law enforcement official.  He had short, slicked backed black hair, a pencil mustache, in his late 20s and looked like he was straight out of a 40s movie and was a handsome man.  He was wearing a black shirt, grey slacks, a gold badge on his waist band, along with his gun and looked very smart.  However, I would think it was a bit hot wearing black in New Mexico.  

12.50 p.m just passed through Hatch, NM, the chili capital. 










We passed over the Rio Grande River before that. 

2.00 pm. We crossed the Continental Divide at 4500 ft above sea level. 

3.10 pm we have just stopped at a real nice little restaurant called Kranberry


Gregg had an open faced steak sandwich....


and I had a sensible grilled chicken salad, and didn't eat all of it.


This was my first meal since the day before yesterday and I was feeling more like my old self.  Nice lady who took care of us.  I didn't get her name.  


There were photos of Amelia Earhart and Charles Lindbergh on the wall. And also a photo of the Spirit of St Louis, which we have hanging in the Air and Space Museum in Washington DC.  What a small world!  They touched down in Lordsburg, New Mexico, and we on a whim decided to stop here for lunch.  I like these little bits of history we come across. 

Saw a dust swirly driving along, looks like a mini tornado without the devastating effects. We could see it going around and around and then it was gone. There have been signs for miles warning us that this area is prone to dust storms.  When one hits the signs say, do not stop in the road, move to the side.  

3.35 p.m we entered Arizona. 

We have been seeing orchards. Hundreds and hundreds of bright green trees. Again, this is a very dry area. Well irrigated obviously. We saw a sign for pecan and walnuts and wine. We are thinking that these may be pecan and walnut trees. 

Passing the Cochise Stronghold, Exit 331 

4.48 p.m. Going past Tombstone, Arizona

Stayed the night in Tucson.  We forgot to change the GPS directions from the city of Tucson to our hotel. We realized our mistake when it put us right in the middle of the city and no hotel.  A happy mistake though. It was fun to look around this beautiful city.  From there we changed our directions to our hotel and we arrived 15 minutes later. 


51 comments:

  1. I hate that you felt so bad...but glad it did not last any longer. Love your notes on your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, thank you so much for the caring comment about me not feeling well. All well now :) Very happy you are enjoying the notes from our trip.

      Delete
  2. I want everything on your plate. :D
    That's a beautiful place to visit. Road trip is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry! When I read your last post and saw how very much you had done, with no water, I thought that I myself would not be able to do that! Well, the resting time was well spent, as you are back on your way, YEAH! My two favorite pictures are the gorgeous fireplace, and the beautiful cabinet with the coffee things on it and the big vase beside it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ginny, I'm all fine now thanks and thanks for another sweet comment. That coffee was on every floor of the hotel, there were four. Nice to go out in the morning and grab a cup as it was right next to the elevator. I loved that big vase too.

      Delete
  4. oh no...what a bummer . Not feeling well during a journey is no fun. Been there before.

    Am glad you are feeling better now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Small Kucing. Appreciate your caring comment :)

      Delete
  5. Bless your heart, Denise! So sorry to hear you didn't feel well. Glad you got some rest, though. Love all your photos and the chicken salad looks delicious. Here in Montreal this morning it was only in the 40's! Yes, I put my winter coat back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless your heart Linda for this lovely comment. Goodness! So cold still, stay warm :)

      Delete
  6. I am so sorry that you were unwell, and impressed that you and Gregg were sensible and took care of you.
    Keep getting better. And take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My goodness, you are a long way from home now Denise. Hope you get well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not surprised you felt poorly with all that heat. Hoping you feel tons better now. Had to smile at your description of Greg's meal.... a sandwich!!!! Keep on keeping well, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Valerie, and yes that's a big sandwich isn't it :)

      Delete
  9. So glad you've recovered Denise. Got to keep that water up eh! Interesting seeing all those eating places and your meals both looked very nice. It's great how you keep your journal. Lovely to look back on - we used to do that, amazing how, when you've done as many kms as you have, quickly different towns and places can be forgotten. Enjoy yourselves :D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue, it is fun looking back at old journals from previous trips. I have slowed up some over the last few days, hard to keep the flow going as we have been so busy with our family and have just had enough energy to lollop:) Have enjoyed being with them very much.

      Delete
  10. I am really loving your travel pics, and that is the only way I will ever see all of this. great photos all of them... sorry you had a sick day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes me very happy Sandra. Thank you and all better now :)

      Delete
  11. Hope you're feeling all better. :) What a trip! So glad you two are enjoying yourselves. You're so great with sharing photos and details with us. :)
    safe travels and hugs,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Marie, all behind me now as we have spent a week in California with Gregg's sister and her husband. I'm very happy you have enjoyed our travels. Hugs back to you, Denise

      Delete
  12. Me'thinks you are forgetting about your body's basic needs, in the drive to explore. Please...... Body need hydration. Needs...

    But you know that now....

    Lots of gentle hugs,
    Luna Crone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are correct LC but I am being a real good girl now, lol! It took a two-by-four between the eyes figuratively speaking of course. Just forgot how much water I needed in this dry hot climate. I usually carry a bottle with me 24 hours a day and will again from now on :) Lots of gentle hugs right back to you too, Denise :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Happy you enjoyed the photos Francisco, a hug and a good week to you also. Denise

      Delete
  14. Wow....what a cool looking place. You have really put some miles on that body!!! Hoping your feel better today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pam, doing much better now. I am a little more careful. Just took me by surprise but I learned my lesson :)

      Delete
  15. Quite a time to get sick!

    I'd love to see Tombstone someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know but Gregg calls me a delicate little petal at times, lol. I can smile now because I have been feeling much better. One of these days I will get to Tombstone.

      Delete
    2. And oh my goodness it is going to be a 100 degrees where we are and I had better take the hat and the water if I go out in it. Most of the day I will be in an air-conditioned car though. Thank goodness for air-conditioning :)

      Delete
  16. Beautiful place a and like a lot all those small "sculptures".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Orvokki :) I loved the sculptures.

      Delete
  17. What an interesting post. Glad that you are feeling better. We love chillies so those two places would have been good for us :-) Hope you keep feeling better Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diane, that's great that you enjoy chilies. I love to see them growing. There was a restaurant we used to go to near where we lived that was famous for growing chilies right out front, in a small raised bed that produced enough fresh chilies for their recipes. Sadly they closed after many, many years. Thank you for your caring comment, I am feeling much better.

      Delete
  18. Sorry about your illness. I caught the flu in Miami in 2013 and spent the entire day in bed. But, Tylenol in the evening cured me somewhat, so I was able to have dinner with a blog friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi, that doesn't sound very good either. Awful to be sick when far away from home. I should have thought about the Tylenol. Hope it won't happen again but at least I will know what to reach for. Thanks for the tip.

      Delete
  19. Sorry you have been ill Denise. You are brilliant for doing journaling as you go. I wish I had done that when we traveled to England, Scotland and Wales! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jacqueline, for these kind comments. I slowed up for a week when we were with my sister-in-law and her husband. They showed us such a great time and so much that I didn't write other than a few notes. Hopefully the photos we took will jog my memory :)

      Delete
  20. Hi Denise and so sorry to read you have been under the weather, hopefully fully recovered by today. Another really interesting post, my you are covering some ground. Had to smile at the thought of an opera singer in full flight having a quick gasp on an oxygen cylinder. All the best to you both. John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sweet of you, thanks John. It's been over a week now and I have been very careful. Glad you enjoyed the post. I know, isn't that a picture to imagine those poor opera singers short of breath? I never would have thought about it before, that's for sure. All the best to you too John, and thanks again.

      Delete
  21. I am so envious of your traveling! Everything looks so beautiful and like such fun, so I'm sorry to hear that you hadn't been feeling well but I'm glad you are enjoying yourself now. I hope you have a splendid rest of week and feel well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long time since we traveled Little Bits, so we are particularly enjoying this road trip. Lots of lovely things in each state we visit. Thank you for your caring comments about my health. I am indeed back to having a good time, but taking care also :) Wishing you also a splendid rest of the week :)

      Delete
  22. I do love a good road trip, even if it is someone else's. Thank you for sharing yours in such detail. You are keeping a great journal, it's such a good idea. Amazing how quickly we forget details if we don't some something to remind us. I wouldn't want to forget about a town called Truth or Consequences! I'm glad you recovered so quickly from your upset. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome Pauline, I am very happy you enjoy these travels of ours. I agree about those details, I can't remember a lot of them and the photos are great memory joggers too. Thank you, I was fine within a couple of days and was able to enjoy our time with Gregg's sister and her husband, who showed us a really grand time. Wishing you a great weekend :)

      Delete
  23. You are getting to see some nice scenery, glad you are feeling better, I just want to mention that the Hatch chilies are some of the best I have ever eaten.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jimmy. Loving the fact that you know Hatch. Wish we had stopped there now to try some of those chilies :)

      Delete
  24. I have fallen a bit behind on blog reading since we returned home from our Easter family visit, Denise, and sorry to read that you were not feeling great/ Glad it was only for a day and perhaps you did need the restful day after all the traveling and sightseeing you and Gregg have been doing. Once again, I really enjoyed all the photos in this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Beatrice, must have been a wonderful time with the family. You also might have a point there. I think I am going to sleep for a month after this trip :)

      Delete
  25. Gosh! We haven't been to New Mexico since our son left the state for Maryland. Your photos remind me of what a beautiful area New Mexico and Arizona are. I'm sorry you got hit by a bug here. I hope you recovered quickly. You two are doing so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay :) All better now. NM certainly is a beautiful state. Arizona too.

      Delete

Thank you so for taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading them very much and always try to return a visit. As I do monitor comments it may take a while for them to appear, even quite late depending on what is going on and how much time I am able to spend on the computer.

I appreciate all who look at my blog, but I won't be publishing any businesses. If you are only able to publish anonymously, would you sign your name please, and leave an addy so I can return your visit where possible? Thank you!